Fergal Lawler, drummer of The Cranberries, accepted to be interviewed by me. I must say he’s a lovely and kind person. This famous Irish band has returned: they’re touring in USA and, in January 26, they’ll come to Chile.
Well, here you can know a bit more of this wonderful musician. Dolores, Noel, Mike & Fergal: thanks a lot for filling my life with your songs.
– How did The Cranberries appear? How did you get to know Hogan brothers?
– I met Noel and Mike when we were about 14 years old. We grew up together and began listening to music by Joy Division, The Cure, The Smiths, Pink Floyd, The Doors, Led Zeppelin and many others. We dreamed of someday playing music in a band and when I was 17 I got a drumkit for Christmas. Two months later, Noel and Mike got their guitars.
– What did you want to be when you were a child? Did you always think to form a band?
– I didn’t know what I wanted to be as a child. I always loved water and when I was finishing school I thought of going to college to become a marine Biologist, but then I began playing music and my future was decided for me.
– How did you learn to play drums?
– I learned to play drums by listening to bands I liked and trying to play along. I never went to lessons, but I am still learning new things every day.
– Which was the first impression or idea about Dolores O’Riordan?
– Noel, Mike and myself had been playing together for a few months when we met Dolores. She was very shy, but when she started singing she lit up the room. We were all smiling. We gave her a tape with the music for Linger and a week later she came back with the vocals finished and we knew it was going to work out.
– Mike (bassist) is probably my best friend. It’s a rhythm section thing. We used to share rooms when we were starting out and I’ve never laughed so much in my life!
– What’s your favourite Cran song?
– Disappointment, Everything I said, New New York, Not Sorry.
– Why did the band take distance for seven years? And, why did you decide to come back now?
– The band needed to take a break from each other because we had been working together non-stop for 13 years. We also had just become parents and found it very difficult to tour.
– Are The Cranberries going to release a new album? Will you perform new songs?
– We have spoken about releasing new material next year and are already working on new ideas.